Updated on the 1st & 15th each month through July
Info posted April 18, 2017
Unit Food Coordinators – Still need 100+
This is the list of Unit Food Coordinators as of April 17 2017. Instructions for adding, deleting, and changing are at the top of the page. If your Jamboree unit is not on the list, get your UFC registered here https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JamboFoodCoord
We do have many partial units (defined as any group less than 40), that will need a single UFC to represent all of the folks in the campsite. This may delay Food Team issuing usernames and passwords for the menu-forecasting website and SwiftShopper app. Stay tuned.
SwiftShopper is ready to go, but first let’s give it a huge test on May 2nd
We will be doing a SwiftShopper Stress Test on May 2, 7-9pm Eastern, 6-8pm Central, 5-7 Mountain, and 4-6pm Pacific. Everyone is welcome to participate, even youth 14 years old and older. Please sign up to participate by April 25th at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SwiftShopperTest
And a Drum Roll Please…
At long last, here is a spreadsheet for the Final-Grocery-List-with-Points-April-2017-2 We’ve left it as a spreadsheet (instead of a PDF) so your unit can play with it as you plan your menus. We’ve included columns to help you know about the package sizes, servings, and how many packages it takes to serve 40.
Each day during the Jamboree (about 10am), we will reset each unit of 40’s SwiftShopper account to 2,017 points (no carryover balances, so eat well as you go).
Still to Come…Commercial ingredient labels will be posted on May 15th to assist those families planning supplemental food items to support their scout’s various allergies…as well as each Jamboree’s efforts to help with dietary variations.
Info posted March 31, 2017
NEW: Below are the drafts for the individually packaged meal kits for those observing (and registered for) a Kosher, Halal, or Made-without-Gluten diet:
We will email this news to Jamboree registrants that indicated these needs with an invitation for feedback by April 15th to firstname.lastname@example.org . As a reminder, these 3 specific dietary requests must be entered into the individual’s Jamboree registration record by May 1. For registration assistance, please contact email@example.com .
So how will the Jamboree Food Team forecast how much of which groceries to stock in each grocery store each day?
Great question! We’ll need your help.
The Jamboree Food Team invites all interested to test the 2017 Jamboree Cook Book and Meal Forecasting website. Since the plan this Jamboree is for units to shop for ingredients to make their own meals of choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day, this site is a tool to aid units in the planning process by showing ten to twelve possible menus for each meal and providing a way for units to share their daily meal preferences with us. This will assist planners to stock the grocery stores effectively to support the units and not drive up the expenses to the Jamboree.
For the Jamboree, each Unit Food Coordinator will be given a user name and password to access the forecasting tool. Below is a list of TEST user names and passwords if you would like to play with the tool.
The instructions are straightforward and appear on the first page after you log in. TEST usernames and passwords are as follows:
There are several TEST usernames for each Basecamp so hopefully during the test people randomly choose different accounts and aren’t trying to save selections at the same moment in time. Feel free to try it out. Log on, read the instructions, look at the meal options, print the instructions if you like, make selections, save them and then confirm that they saved. For those who want to delve deeper, you will find there are reports that can be generated that Food Team will use to plan inventory in the grocery stores. The meals indicated can all be made with stock ingredients in the store and your selections flow through to reports that will help us with the inventory of items desired at each store.
We know that you have choices when shopping and that you will likely alter a meal by selecting different side dishes or desserts from those indicated in the cookbook. That happens at home all the time and surely will at the Jamboree. Since the website isn’t designed for that, in your choice selection you will be asked to indicate the desired meal based on the main course.
Also, please understand that a selection in the system is not an order or reservation of a meal, but rather a selection that will help us try to maintain necessary stock levels of desired ingredients. There will be times undoubtedly that items run out, but hopefully with this tool they will be fewer because we will know in advance of the more desirable meals on a given day.
Here is the link to the site: http://www.2017jamboreefood.com/
And if something goes wrong feel free to reach out to our help desk with any requests by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org . We also welcome feedback, both positive and for possible improvement, at that email address.
300+ Unit Food Coordinators are still needed
We ask that each unit register one designated Food Coordinator. Traditionally the 2nd Assistant Scoutmaster/Associate Advisor, this person will be issued the primary user credentials for the online menu-planning tool, as well as the SwiftShopper App for your unit of 40. It is acceptable for your Food Coordinator to be a youth leader (perhaps the Quartermaster) IF they are at least 13 years of age (as of now) to meet online child safety rules. Register your unit Food Coordinator (Jamboree unit number, Basecamp, name, email, and mobile phone number) at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JamboFoodCoord
We are aware that there are several partial units that have yet to be attached to each other. The Jamboree Administration is working on those. For now, feel free to enter a coordinator for your partial group and we’ll modify those later.
Info posted March 16, 2017
Please read this first: Jamboree Grocery Stores Overview-1st Revision (updated March 16, 2017). Notable Change: New made-without-gluten meal kits on page 9
When you send 43,661 emails seeking feedback on Jamboree food you receive A LOT of feedback. Based on those notes, the 2017 Food Team is pleased to share the following updated info:
- The Jamboree has posted a more detailed list of equipment being issued to each unit of 40: http://www.summitbsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/FINAL-Troop-Kit-Contents.pdf
- Three videos that may help prepare your scouts for the Jamboree meal prep experience:
- Final suggested meals:
- 2017 Jamboree Basecamp Grocery Stores Final Grocery List – by meal, by category NOTE: On the grocery lists are “Special Diets Counter” items in LIMITED quantities based on registration that are only intended for units to use to supplement their meals in support of members observing a Vegan or Vegetarian diets, or that have a milk allergy.
- We ask that each unit register one designated Food Coordinator. Traditionally the 2nd Assistant Scoutmaster/Associate Advisor, this person will be issued the primary user credentials for the online menu-planning tool, as well as the SwiftShopper App for your unit of 40. It is acceptable for your Food Coordinator to be a youth leader (perhaps the Quartermaster) as long as they are at least 13 years of age (as of now) to meet online child safety rules. Register your unit Food Coordinator (Jamboree unit number, Basecamp, name, email, and mobile phone number) at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JamboFoodCoord
Info Coming soon:
- Menus by day for individually packaged meal kits that units will pick up at the Special Diets Counter in the grocery store. The kits are allocated to each unit based on the dietary selections made during registration as of May 1st, and support the following diets: Kosher, Halal, and Made-without-Gluten. After April 1st, an email will be sent to the 700-ish Jamboree registrants that indicated these 3 dietary needs when they registered…with a very short period for feedback on the meals.
As a reminder:
Official Jamboree policy on food allergies from the Jamboree Council Planning Guide, page 28, http://www.summitbsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/CPG119.pdf
“…the Food Team cannot feasibly plan for all specific dietary needs of all persons attending the jamboree. Therefore, anyone with special food requirements for medical reasons (after medical permission to attend jamboree is granted), or personal dietary beliefs, must make their own arrangements to meet those needs by bringing nonperishable food with them—just as they would bring their own medications. “
As we get closer to the Jamboree the following additional food resources will be posted:
- Grocery list spreadsheet with packaging quantities, point values, etc.
- A request for Unit Food Coordinators to post their meals on a Menu-forecasting website that we can use to try to plan the stock (especially the main dishes) needed in each store by day during the Jamboree.
- A slideshow presentation on how to use the SwiftShopper app.
- May 17th “All things Food” Jamboree Webinars.
- An invitation to Unit Food Coordinators to participate in a SwiftShopper Stress Test – Date TBD.
- Information about the Grocery Help Line available during Jamboree Grocery Store Hours.
Info posted January 31, 2017
Please read this first: Jamboree-Grocery-Stores-Overview (originally published Jan 2017)
For more information about the development of the Jamboree Grocery concept, you can access the slide deck and recording from the Jamboree Council Coordinators’ webinar in August 2016 here: http://www.summitbsa.org/events/jamboree/jamboree-webinars/
We ask that each unit register one designated Food Coordinator. Traditionally the 2nd Assistant Scoutmaster/Associate Advisor, this person will be issued the primary user credentials for the online menu-planning tool, as well as the SwiftShopper App for your unit. It is acceptable for your Food Coordinator to be a youth leader (perhaps the Quartermaster) as long as they are at least 13 years of age (as of now) to meet online child safety rules.
Register your unit Food Coordinator (Jamboree unit number, Basecamp, name, email, and mobile phone number) with this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JamboFoodCoord
Draft Menu List – by meal– Final lists out March 15th
Draft Grocery List – by meal, by category– Final lists out March 15th